Sunday, July 11, 2010

My recipe

I have a really good cookie recipe. I've blogged about it before.

Whenever I make these cookies for someone, they request the recipe. Without fail. And because I'm nice like that, I give it to them.

But I've never had somebody say, "Gee, you know, I don't agree with butter. So I'm not going to put that in." Because seriously. The cookies will not turn out unless you have butter.

Duh.

And yet I get it in other respects all the time.

When I tell people how I get my babies to sleep by themselves - or later, to stay in their rooms - I get, "Nah, I don't agree. It must be something else."

When people ask how I've lost so much weight, and I tell them about waking up at 5:30 in the morning every freaking day to exercise, and eating really healthy and staying away from sweets and snacks, it's, "Nah, that's not it, you must have really good genes."

...

And when someone wants to know why I'm so happy, and I tell them it's because I've found the truth, they don't believe me.

I still have trials. I still have problems. I still have down days and I've had my share of depression. But I'm able to withstand them. I'm better because of it.

I'm not talking about the fleeting happiness that chocolate brings (though it does bring that.) I'm talking about the deep-down peace and joy that truth brings. And that's as easy as this-recipe-equals-good-cookies.

I know Christ is truly the son of God. I know He came to this earth, and taught us how to live. I know that prophets on various continents recorded His visits and teachings. I know that through those prophets' words, we can come to know Him, too. And I know that by knowing Him, we can be happy. Really, truly, happy. Happy in spite of our trials, and perhaps because of them.

I know that we still have prophets today. I know this because I've asked Him. I know this because my spirit recognizes truth. I know this because I've prayed to know for myself if the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are true. And they are. And it is. I know it.

And that's why I'm happy.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

this really made me happy. i think it's time to change my recipe. thanks for the reminder.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

So true, girl, so true.

Jenny P. said...

Great parallel. It is a recipe that works, that makes people happy. I'm so very grateful that I know it too.

Unknown said...

Yep. You gotta have the butter. And you gotta have the courage to own up to your testimony. How many times have I heard people say, "I know; you Mormons have something special" and then treat it like it's just 'good genes' instead of something they could have for themselves?

It reminds me of Paul and Agrippa and that terrible "almost".

"Almost thou persuadest me..."

Breaks your heart, doesn't it?

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I love how you put that. LOVE. I feel exactly the same way, and some days it's a bit frusterpating, but most days it's just sad.

gigi said...

Amen!

Danya said...

The interesting thing about faith is that everyone has something different that makes their heart sing. I grew up in SE Idaho and my best friend since kindergarten is LDS, but when I have read the Book of Mormon, it doesn't "speak" to me. However, when I attend the church that I go to now (which, incidentally, isn't the church of my upbringing), I nearly hear choirs of angels. I leave so uplifted, no matter how I felt when I entered. It really is neat to see someone who lives a spirit filled life. Thank you for sharing your experience about your faith...I am sure there are many people who will hear your testimony and long for the joy that you feel as a result of your beliefs as a Latter Day Saint.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Great blog minds think alike, I guess. I love your analogy here, btw.

Mike and Jen said...

I can't stop thinking about this post. It has kicked my still pregnant looking body in to high gear. You are right - its not a mystery or lucky event when good things happen - it takes work. And truth. Thanks! Good luck back at home!