Thursday, January 21, 2010

there is a man inside my head

His name is George. He is short, pudgy, balding and has glasses. He sweats a lot. And wears a bow tie.

He works in a long, narrow room with vaulted ceilings. There are filing cabinets stacked high as the eye can see. Gray. With white labels and silver handles. This hallway of a room is dimly lit, barely illuminating thousands of papers that swirl and whirl in every direction. A snow storm of paper.

This room, you see, is my brain.

All the thoughts I've ever had are filed not-so-neatly away. Thoughts on chess. Q-tips. World peace. AIDS. Peanut butter. Grass. Baseball. Mozart. My grocery list and the state of my nylons.

It is George's job to catch the papers - my thoughts - as they fall from that sky-high ceiling, and file them accordingly. 'Cept usually there's about 1987136 thoughts fluttering down at a time, and he's dashing back and forth, frantically trying keep up.

But not now. Now, he's taking a nap. His glasses are falling off his face and he's curled up with his knees tucked to his chest as far as his belly will allow. Only one or two thought-papers drift lazily down, careful not to disturb him.

Let's let him be.

That's all.

14 comments:

rebecca said...

Based on the time of this post, George needs to be pulling out sleep thoughts. Alas, those sweets/treats/and snack thoughts are overrunning the place.

Jenny P. said...

I love your descriptions. I think George needs to be helping you write a book. :)

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

Hey! I have a little dwarf-type man in my head doing these tasks! As I get older, he gets fatter and slower. We both need a diet.

That Girl said...

Pay no attention to the time of this post. I went to bed at 9:45. It's all about scheduling, baby ....

Mommadj5 said...

I think when your "thought-filer" takes a nap it's called "part- zheimers"....happens to me all the time....

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh my yes...just let the poor little man sleep! Hee hee...I love the way your mind works.

Amy said...

You named the man in your head after my Girls Camp nickname? That's weird ;)

Boy Mom said...

Yes, let's kiss him on the forehead cover him with a fluffy blankie and let him rest.

Kazzy said...

I think George's evil twin has taken up residence in my room sometimes.

Lara Neves said...

I am loving that visual.

That's all.

Harmony said...

How is it that you have such interesting and (need I say genious) ways of explaining all parts of life? Golly. You should be the famous "can-explain-everything-about-life-in-layman's-terms" person and you should get a million dollars salary just for being famous.

Nikki said...

I've read this post about four times now and just keep thinking, "Wow."

But I think Harmony described what I was thinking. Seriously, you should get paid to write. You have a gift.

and I'm not really here. I'm cleaning the house and finishing last minute touches for the big birthday party. ;)

InkMom said...

My children asked for bow ties for Christmas. No joke. And do you know how hard it is to find bow ties for little boys? But I did. And they love them. And they're adorable.

And now I will call them George in my head every time I see them wearing bow ties.

Tobi said...

George sounds like he deserves a rest. =)

I can't get blogger to post my scheduled blogs. It's "known problem" that blogger is allegedly working on. Yeah Right!!