Monday, September 6, 2010

In which I celebrate the holiday in my own way

There are seventeen definitions of "labor" in the dictionary. I'm pretty sure I've experienced all of them. Except for maybe #13.
to roll or pitch heavily, as a ship.
Not much of a sailor, myself. Although I do roll and pitch heavily when I do Pilates.
Today I'm going to be talking about my life's labor. Specifically, these guys.


I went through some major labor to get them here (definitions 6, 7 and 12), and they definitely qualify for #4's "physical or mental work, esp. of a hard or fatiguing kind." Emphasize hard and fatiguing. And yet .... Why doesn't it mention the rewards? Why doesn't it mention the surge of love that overwhelms you when you first look into their eyes?

Why doesn't it mention the inescapable desire to kiss every wrinkle, bury yourself in every fold? Why doesn't it mention the way your heart bursts when your children love on each other?
Why doesn't it mention the pride that fills every ventricle, pours through every vein - whether they're rolling, crawling, eating their first cereal or acing their first spelling test?

Why doesn't it mention how fun it is to play - really play! - with your children? Pirates and cars and dragons and cowboys and monsters and anything their limitless imagination dreams up next.



Why doesn't it mention the sentimentality of reading your favorite book to your child - and finding that they love it too?

Why doesn't it mention the awe you feel in creating this amazing little person who you actually enjoy being around?


The Family: A Proclamation to the World declares:

The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force.

Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (
Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.
Happy Labor Day, everybody. The very best labor of all.

Don't forget to check out We Talk of Christ all month long to celebrate the Proclamation!

15 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

It truly IS the very best labor of all! Well-put! I'm tipping my hat to you this labor day!

Heather said...

Love it.

HeatherKitts said...

Amen!!

Lara Neves said...

You should have written the dictionary.

Beautiful post.

*Happy Labor Day!*

Lesa said...

Great post!

Becky said...

Awww. I'll never think of Labor Day in the same way again. Love it!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I wish everyone celebrated labour day this way. I think we all should. Beautiful.

Montserrat said...

Haha! This is what one of my daughters thought we were supposed to celebrate on Labor Day.

Jocelyn has been a HUGE help as I've tried putting this celebration together. Don't forget to link this to the post on my blog as well!

Family Proclamation Photo Essay Blog Hop

Marcia said...

Beautiful! I love that first picture of your boys -- I mean no one's posed perfectly and they have goofy looks on faces but it's *priceless*! It's history. It's the way they are. ANd it's adorable. ;)

Anne said...

Beautiful post. Thank you!

Stepper the Mighty said...

I had 16 Pensievity posts to read when I signed on to do some catching up in the blogosphere today. SIXTEEN! I was so thrilled. And ashamed that I have been absent for so long. But it made for a wonderful lunch break - just me, my tuna sammy, and a deep dive into your world.

Have I told you lately that you're stinkin' brilliant and I love you?

And I'm sad I missed the Mockingjay discussion - though I don't think I was quite finished with it by then. Slow - but dedicated - reader.

I'ma pick your brain about potty training in a minute...

Michelle said...

Hey Becky J (cause you will always be Becky J to me)! I've been meaning to ask you where abouts you are in this new state I call home (Arizona). We moved here over the summer and I would love to get to see you, it has been WAY too long. Obviously you don't have to answer here, shoot me an email mbjorklund@aol.com.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Is lovely.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

YOU'RE A WINNER my Friend! :)

http://beinglds.blogspot.com/2010/09/motherhood-divine-role-plus-giveaway.html

Courtney @ Ordinary Happily Ever After said...

Yay! you won!

Email me for your GC :)

ordinaryhappilyeverafter.com