Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How to frost a cake without cursing

It CAN BE DONE, people, I swear.

(Actually, I don't. That's the whole point, mmmKay?)

Okay. So you've baked your cake. But as every sane person knows, a cake is just inedible without frosting.

So saith I.

Proceeding.

First you have to let the cake cool. I know, I know. This actually takes forethought and planning. It's hard, but we'll get through it. The best is to let it cool thoroughly AND put it in the fridge for a good half an hour - but that's pushing it, don't you think?

K. Now frost it. Does it look like this?

I thought so. The cake is peeping through. Very immodest of it, too. And lets not forget the thousands of crumbs that are marring up your frosting, as well. It's totally crumb-y. (Get it? Crumb-y? Crummy? Moving on ....)

Trick #1! Put it back in the fridge. Half an hour.

Now goop on more frosting.

Goop, baby, goop!

(I talk with my hands a lot. "Goop" looks something like this:)

Yessireebob. There's really nothing else to say after that picture.

All right, did you goop? Notice it was so much easier this time.

Besides, any two-year-olds you may have lying around will be sure to wipe up the inevitable goop spills.

Now for trick #2. When you're all gooped up, dip your knife (or spatula, if you're super Martha-y) into a cup of cold water. With very light pressure, smooth out all the goopiness. Dip back into the water frequently.

I'm tellin' ya, underneath all those decorations, the frosting is so smooth it looks like fondant.

(And very much tastier, too.)

Do you see the windows? Admire the windows. Smooooooooooooth like my legs on date night.

Mom! Did you just say that?

Yes. Yes I did.

Enjoy your cake and eat it too!

13 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Bwahahah! Dang, I love you! Thanks for the cake tips, and the reminder to shave my legs before our vacation later this week!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

NICE! :) You make me laugh!

Lookin' good!

HeatherKitts said...

Excuse me!? I just HEART your bangs!!!!!!! What the heck, you are ridiculously cute!

Kristen said...

I really like your shirt in these pics!

I love your posts like these, very cute and thoughtful. Thanks for the tips!

Unknown said...

You're brilliant. But I think I'll keep swearing, if you don't mind.

NatalieHemingway said...

haha. I think I still prefer to just buy it at Costco. BTW - is it just me or is that baby teetering precariously close to the edge of that countertop cliff ???!! WHOA MOMMA! :)

Shelane said...

bumbo seats are the bomb.

not a bad cake, either ;)

LisAway said...

So a couple of years ago I learned this trick from Smitten Kitchen who said, "Making a crumb coat of frosting–a thin layer that binds the dark crumbs to the cake so they don’t show up in the final outer frosting layer–is a great idea for this cake, or any with a dark cake and lighter-colored frosting. " in this recipe, but I have to say your description was significantly more fun and interesting to read. Also, I HIGHLY recommend the recipe linked to up there. It is makes an evil, delicious and beautiful cake!

Carolyn said...

Great tips! Here's another one for cake leveling and crumb minimizing...wrap your cake layers in plastic and freeze them for a bit before you put your creation together. It makes them smoother to cut and stack.

Kristina P. said...

That's opretty impressive for no cursing.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Smooth as your legs on date night? LOVE IT. May I steal it for a book, please?

Anne said...

Hahaha, I think it turned out cute!

angela said...

Ya know, I don't even know you, and I like you. Thanks for making me smile. :)