Friday, January 29, 2010

When life gives you limes ...

Mr. Squishy has been crying since approximately Monday morning.

I'm surprised his tear ducts aren't the size of small kiwis.


This morning it suddenly became too much. Blasting primary music didn't seem to be helping. (I'm TRYYYYYYYYYYYYING to BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE like JEEEEEEE-SUUUUUUUUUUUS!)

I decided to make these:

Cupcakes make everything better.

We suffered casualties in the shape of one bottle of lime juice, two eggs, one fistful of butter and several chucked spoons.

No children were hurt.


Right now both children are in bed. I'm blogging. I just had a cupcake.

And I feel better.

*******************************************
;">Recipe from CuisineNie:

Lime-Coconut Cupcakes:

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp grated key lime zest
1 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup loosely packed sweetened coconut flakes (3.5 ounces)

The Frosting:

5 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped into small chucks 1/2 cup
(1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Pinch salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lime juice (bottled or freshly squeezed)
1/4 cup sour cream
Fresh lime slices, for garnish - if desired

The Instructions:

* Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla extract, key lime zest and juice and mix well. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 5 parts total, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold the coconut into the cupcake batter. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and fill each liner almost to the top with batter. A spring loaded 1/4 cup ice cream scoop works great for this and ensures the cupcakes are all the same size. Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops begin to brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer cupcakes to a baking rack to cool completely.

While the cupcakes are cooling you can make the frosting. In a small heat proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, carefully and slowly melt the white chocolate. Remove from heat and let cool until just slightly warm. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar until well combined. Add the salt, vanilla extract, key lime juice, and sour cream and mix until very smooth. Add the melted white chocolate and mix just until incorporated. Frost the cupcakes and garnish with a bit of grated key lime zest, fresh lime slices, or candied limes. (And I added coconut, too!)

26 comments:

Just SO said...

Unfortunately I'm not fluent in webdings but I am fluent in Yumminess!! And those cupcakes definitely speaks yummy to me.

Harmony said...

Um... weird. The writing on your post is coming up as those "webdings" or dingalings or something (weird symbols that don't make any sense). I assume you didn't do that on purpose; I'm sure it's just my computer. Unless you get more comments like this. Weird.

Um, I guess I'll check back later.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

Oh dear! Well- hopefully the lime cupcake made it feel better- at least for the duration of the nap.

And in my experience- Three and Four were our hardest years- even teenage- but I have only gone through that once so far- so I might change my mind after these next three get to the other side of teenage- hugs!

Harmony said...

Ok, so, maybe the webdings WERE on purpose. I'm a little confused. And a little dense. I mean, your post IS on making cupcakes out of limes, so maybe the webdings are on purpose. Crap. Forget I ever made any comments on this post. I feel really stupid.

Hel said...

Harmony,

I am getting the webdings too. Don't feel stupid. It was aLL symbols in my reader, but when I clicked over it was only a small paragraph that was webdings.... hmmm.

love the cupcakes, though.. I am inspired!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I. Want.

I don't dare though. I've already consumed half a bag of microwave popcorn and about a dozen and a half caramel hershey's kisses...

Will power, non-existent.

Must save recipe for future use though...

Wonder Woman said...

Kids in bed are sometimes my favorite kind. Especially after a long day. Seeing those sweet faces asleep....my heart melts like frosting on warm cupcakes.

Margaret said...

Those sound really good! I want one.

Wonder Woman said...

Just have to say -- the Hulk just came over and said, "My tummy says I'm hungwee. I wanna cookie that's what my tummy says. Mom, that's me!" and pointed to the picture of Ouro Branco. He's asking me what his name is, and if he's a cousin. :o)

Randi said...

Ok I'm not usually a big fan of the cupcakes... but these look SO good to me!
Thanks!!

Kazzy said...

mmmmmmmmmm coconut and lime? yummy.

now i feel hungry.

Mike and Jen said...

Those look amazing! Forget the laundry, my new goal is to make some of those cupcakes. Amazing how having a kid can make tasks like cooking fell very lofty.

Julie said...

What's wrong with the Squishster?

janae said...

This is completely unrelated, but I love all the new pictures on your sidebar! You have such a cute family!

Rachel Sue said...

It is weeks like that, that Tylenol is my best friend. Literally.

Tobi said...

You put the lime in the coconut and you drink it all up! Yummy! I can't wait to try these.

P.S. Every crisis should be solved with cupcakes. We'd all come out happier and have a sugar rush in the end. =)

Mommadj5 said...

I know what's wrong with the Squishter - he needs his Gramma!You are so awesome - I'm not sure I would tackle cupcakes with a crying kid on my hands - but I would SO love the results! OB looks like he is having a good time! Did you create the recipe (yes bloggers - she creates receipes and they are dee-lish - or is this actually out of a book?

Timothy said...

My interpretation of the webdings:

They symbolize a mad rant of venting. Similar to &%$$#?!!

5 points for Katy?

Nikki said...

I'm a total nerd. I copied the webdings and pasted into Microsoft Word. And then switched fonts. Now I know. It's just a secret code for nerdy folk without an interesting Friday night, right? You're so thoughtful.

Anyways, guess what? You get socks too. Let's hope #4 pops out a girl. hehe

Nikki said...

Obviously not nerdy enough to make my link work. Just paste it in.

http://nikkianddanny.blogspot.com/2010/01/beading-blogging-and-breastfeeding.html

Boy Mom said...

Printed recipe. Making cup cakes. Must make it through the Last. Two. Days. Of January.

Harmony said...

Looks like I'm not the only one that had webding-dingaling problems. I clicked on your post this morning and it worked. Oh yeah! Now that I've commented on your post 3 times... I guess I must be important or really miss you or something :)

MayerFamily said...

LOVED those cupcakes, so glad we got to have some (or should I thank Isaac?) So fun hanging out yesterday, and I am SO printing off that recipe!

Q'Ville said...

love the de-coding touch. Glad it worked. but... no chocolate?

Mommadj5 said...

Ok- I feel dumb - missed the reference to the cook-book - so ok, you didn't make this one up!!

Anonymous said...

oi Rebeca como o seu filho é´lindo beijos xaauu!