Thursday, July 22, 2010

Memory Lane - the living room couch

THIS

is the living room couch.

It's where we convened for home teaching - the teenagers sulking, the little kids bouncing, the parents soaking in the gospel message.

It's where we squedged together on Christmas mornings, eyes reflecting the twinkling strands and mountains of presents, trying to remember to open just one at a time so Mom could get a picture.

It's where I escaped with a book when a football game was on.

It's where I would sit and listen to my mom and dad sing, practicing their parts for the choir.

It's where my parents would sit and listen while I practiced the piano. Usually "Jurassic Park." I play a really mean dinosaur theme song.

It's where we were gathered when we heard the SCREEEEECH of a car slamming to a stop, followed by hysterical screaming and sobs. My brother had been hit by a car on his bike. The bike was folded in half and the helmet broken. He was unscathed. It was a miracle.

It's where we took all the homecoming, Sadies, and prom pictures. The pose was the same every time.

It's where my best friend had her bridal shower, and we bought her as many embarrassing pieces of nothing as we could.

It's also where My Man first said "I love you."

I told him I loved him, too.

8 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Oh wow. So who gets this couch??? :) You need to bring it home with you!

Harmony said...

So... I saw a picture of Your Man with NBC, and then I saw "this is where we convened" and I SWEAR I thought I read, "this is where we conceived..." I love it when I read things wrong. Hee hee. Miss you. Keep up the posts. They are memories for me, too :)

Joni said...

I do believe that is first time furniture has brought tears to my eyes.

Oh, except for the time my toenail got ripped off while moving my couch.

Different kind of tears though.

Also, my word verification is "ragger" and for some reason that's funny to me.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

That is some couch.

Amazing how so much history and emotion and meaning can get wrapped up in something that is, after all, just a thing. And yet, so much more than that.

Beautiful post.

HeatherKitts said...

Hahaha to Harmony's comment! :) Two things. One, how is this couch still so clean after all it's been through?? And two, I didn't know your brother was hit by a car on his bike...mine too!! Is that weird or what. Right in front of my parents house, my first day of 8th grade. Bike bent in half, helmet broken. He was WAS scathed, but he ended up ok in the end. A miracle. Weird though, right?

On another note, I was thinking about you today because I had a huge moment and got all stressed out about VBACing and Bradley-ing...and no, I'm not even pregnant hahaha :) I need professional help.

Hope you're enjoying your time in T-town.

Christine said...

I wanted to comment before but wasn't sure what to say. I'm thinking about you a lot and feeling for you. I was sorry to hear about your parents. It makes me feel sad. I hope you're doing alright. Thank you for taking us on this journey with you. Hugs!!

HeatherKitts said...

Ok, so after re-reading that, I sound completely insensitive. I shouldn't have said 'hope you're enjoying your time'. You're there on crappy circumstances and I know that...I guess I'm really just hoping you're enjoying your family being around you and making the best of things. Sorry :( I suck.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Awwww...sniff. A happy sniff for first "I love you"s.